Friday, May 2, 2008

CookLife with Ship Modeling

My mentor and good friend Bob Lightley teaching me his framing techniques.
Cook's workshop, Cape Breton, 1988.









Here's a link that will take you to a few photos of the Bonhomme Richard. We'll have more on this posting as time goes along. This was my largest project to date (5,000 hours). It is now the property of the Naval Academy (Museum) at Annapolis. It's a thrill and an honor to have it housed there. If you would like further details on its construction, etc., please drop me a note and I can send you a brief write-up: cooks@ns.sympatico.ca










Click here for Bob Lightley's HMS Endeavour. Bob Lightley has been my mentor and good friend for many years. We have always enjoyed it when Bob and Jean have come to visit and work with us at Lake Ainslie !!




It is with a heavy heart that we must report of Jean Lightley's passing on Friday morning, the 4th of December, 2009. She was a good friend, and it was a great privilege to have known her. Florence joins me in sending our condolences to Bob Lightley and his whole family.



It is with great sadness tht I report the passing of my long-time mentor and wonderful friend Bob Lightley. Bob passed away on August 9, 2011, after a year of ill health. His son Michael has been wonderful about staying in touch from Cape Town, South Africa. Bob was a life-long resident of Cape Town along with his wife Jean who passed away in 2009. He traveled extensively in regard to his ship modeling and made friends in many corners of the world.
The National Maritime Museum in Greenich, England, recognized Bob as the leading ship model builder in the world, and certainly Bob was the world leader when in came to ship model carving.

Florence joins me in extending our sincerest condolences to the whole Lightley family.

We will miss his wonderful stories, his easy manner, and most of all his everlasting friendship.

Rest in peace, My Friend !!












Be sure to see our CookLife at Parmachenee posts.

2 comments:

April said...

You are officially more tech savvy then I am - Mr. Blogger!!! In all the years I've known you, I'm not sure I've ever seen pictures of this. It's very impressive.

Bob and Florence Cook said...

APRIL !! Nice to hear from you. Not very "tech savvy" at all......just lucky to have an old friend who has walked me through this so far !

Hope you are doing fine.

Regards,

Bob and Florence